Reasons and Recipes to Celebrate 420 in 2023
To some, the number is pronounced four hundred twenty, but to cannabis aficionados across the US and around the world, 420 is just that: four twenty. As we roll up on this year's 4/20 date, many people new to cannabis are wondering: where did 420 come from? It's time to learn some history about cannabis' most significant number and then discuss some celebration tips and recipe ideas.
Before we dive into the 420 goods, it’s worth exploring where the number came from.
While many people recognize 420 as the ideal day to celebrate cannabis, fewer people know of its 420’s true origins. In fact, ask ten people where 420 came from, and you'll likely get a variety of answers ranging from police code for marijuana to Hitler's birthday. However, none of them are true. Instead, the term almost certainly originated with five high school students in the 1970s who were wild about "safaris.”
The year was 1971, and the Waldos would often sit on a wall outside their high school near what is now Silicon Valley, smoking marijuana while poking fun at their fellow classmates and teachers to pass the time. The wall is how they earned their moniker, but it's what they did after they left the wall where the legend began. Always wanting to challenge each other to try something new, the Waldos would plan adventures, called safaris, to find new experiences - one of which was finding a supposed forgotten crop of weed. Did they every find it?
Learn More in The History of 420.
Just like the Waldos, today’s cannabis consumers are creating experiences of their own around the plant year-round, but especially on 4/20.
Things to Do - 420 Activities
Whether you're throwing a party and need some fun activities to keep you all busy, or you just want to get out and explore with friends, consider some activities that let you incorporate your appreciation for cannabis with the activities you enjoy.
Here are our 420 favorites for 2023:
- Begin a Road Trip – Although you’ll need a sober driver and will want to make sure you consume in an approved location, Florida has plenty of places you can visit on 420. Whether you’re looking forward to a day at the beach or you want to head to the nearest city for a day with friends, cannabis can go on your trip as long as you keep the rules in mind. Better yet, you’ll find a MÜV dispensary nearby that will help keep you fully stocked on the necessities to enjoy your day once you reach your state-compliant dosing destination.
- Take a Hike – Hiking is Mother Nature’s favorite road trip. While Florida is starting to warm up to sweltering summer temperatures, you might be able to take one last nature walk before things get too hot. Check out the Ocala National Forest or find yourself in one of the many state parks with trails and rivers that can have you exploring all day. Don’t forget to set up a picnic lunch, complete with your favorite snacks.
- Create Some Crafts – Crafting is an ideal way to spend time after dosing, particularly after dosing a creativity-inducing strain You could create a craft area where you could paint, mold clay, make jewelry, or even create frames for those photo booth pictures. Participating in hands-on activities while enjoying your favorite creative cannabis products can help you create something truly remarkable.
- Watch 420 TV – If you’re looking for a chill activity, there have been plenty of shows and movies over the years that are associated with cannabis culture. 420 is the perfect time to break out some old favorites like Dazed and Confused, That 70s Show (and now That 90s Show), The Big Lebowski, the Friday series, Cheech and Chong, or even Scooby-Doo.
- Get Baked – Even if you normally don’t enjoy spending time in the kitchen, we urge you to make an exception on 420. You don’t have to be Martha Stewart to find enjoyment in this activity. Whether you are cooking from scratch with a cannabis-infused recipe or picking up a box of mix from the store and getting creative with some cannabutter, cooking with cannabis is a great activity.
Check Out Our Full Bucket List of 2023 Activities for Cannabis Lovers
Recipes You Can Try This 420
Infusing cannabis into your favorite foods and drinks is becoming more and more popular, and there is no shortage of ideas you can try this 420. Even Netflix has jumped into the game with shows about professional chefs whipping up some of their infused favorites. If you've been wanting to learn the best way to incorporate cannabis into your cooking, we've got you covered with some of our favorite 420 recipes for 2023.
All the recipes below incorporate cannabutter, which is butter infused with cannabis. Check out our 420 recipes for making this staple ingredient to get started.
Before You Begin, Check Out: How to Make Cannabutter
- Leave the skins on the baking potatoes and boil them in salted water for about 15 - 20 minutes.
- Remove them from the water, and while still hot, take the skins off. Mash or sieve the potatoes to remove any lumps.
- Combine the oil, egg, flour, and salt with the potatoes. Combine together with a spoon until all ingredients are incorporated.
- Sprinkle flour onto a large board or a clean countertop and knead the mixture until it turns into a dough.
- Roll the dough into a long strip similar to a cigar and cut it into pieces about the width of a thumb. Continue rolling the dough and cutting until all the dough is cut into pieces.
- Dust all the pieces with additional flour before cooking.
- Boil salted water and add the pieces to the pot. When they float to the top, they’re done.
- Remove from the water.
- In a small pan, melt the cannabutter. You can add garlic and Italian seasoning at this time if desired.
- Place the gnocchi on a plate, drizzle with the butter, then top with a few sprinkles of cheese.
- Start with the regular butter and spread it onto one side of each slice of bread.
- Then, using the cannabutter, spread the other side of each piece.
- Place your cheese on the cannabutter side of one slice, then put the other slice on top of the cheese with the cannabutter side against the cheese once again. (You want the bread to soak up the cannabutter.)
- Preheat the oven to 325°F (162°C).
- In a mixing bowl, combine graham cracker crumbs, sugar, melted butter, and creamy peanut butter. Mix until crumbs are evenly coated.
- Press the mixture into the bottom of a 9x13 inch baking dish.
- In a separate mixing bowl, beat cream cheese and sugar until creamy.
- Add eggs and vanilla extract to the bowl and beat until combined.
- Mix in melted cannabis-infused butter and peanut butter, beating until smooth.
- Spread mixture over the crust in the baking dish.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until the edges are set and the center is still slightly jiggly.
- Remove from the oven and allow the bars to cool to room temperature.
- Once they have cooled, place them in the fridge for at least two hours to set.
- Cut into bars and enjoy.
Note: The number of servings may vary depending on the size of the bars. This recipe should make about 12-16 bars.
- Melt the cannabutter in a large pot on low heat.
- Add the marshmallows, stirring so they melt slowly (about 2 minutes).
- Add the Fruity Pebbles and continue stirring until the cereal and marshmallows are combined.
- Lay a piece of parchment paper out and spread the mixture evenly throughout. Top with melted white chocolate.
- Refrigerate for 1 hour to cool completely.
- Cut into pieces and enjoy.
420 Marijuana Deals for 2023
As the veil of secrecy around the use of cannabis is lifted, this 420 is a time for cannabis patients to proudly come together and celebrate the amazing benefits that this plant has to offer. With approved uses for relieving insomnia, anxiety, pain, epilepsy and many other ailments, 420 is a day to honor and appreciate the role of this plant in the well-being of the community.
With such a special occasion, MÜV dispensaries are happy to provide you with deals that will allow you to pick up everything you need to enjoy your 420 celebration.
While we're still counting down to this year’s deals, which start April 13, here are some features from previous years:
- Buy 2 Get 1 on all Vape Cartridges
- Buy 2 get 1 on Concentrates (excludes LiveRosin)
- Buy 2 get 1 on Pre-rolls
- Buy 2 get 1 on all Edibles
Whether you just need to stock up or you’re planning something extra special, our 420 Marijuana Deals will help get your plans in motion the right way. Be sure to keep an eye out for updated 2023 deals, giveaways, cannabis swag, and more.
Content Manager for MÜV Florida and Contributor for Zen Leaf Dispensaries. A cannabis connoisseur with a passion for explaining the miraculous possibility of the plant, Swan began her journey with cannabis as a recreational user and quickly realized its positive impact on her depression and severe anxiety. She joined the cannabis industry as Receptionist and MedTender and witnessed first-hand the immense potential of the plant for a wide variety of ailments, deepening her passion for alternative medicine. Swan is dedicated to self-education on the plant and sharing its potential with all. She holds a Journalism degree from the University of Iowa.